Thursday 12 February 2015

E-Mentoring

So I've had two practicals this week, one of which was involved IR Spec and the other, a Proteins and Enzymes Urease practical. Thankfully both have been carried out decently (courtesy of an awesome lab partner!) and I've still got loads of time to hand them in. But I would like to hand the chemistry one in soon before deadline next Wednesday (love submitting assignments early!) just to get it out of the way and concentrate on more pressing matters approaching. I'm referring to my Alpha-galactosidase poster, preparing for my Oral presentation, an SAQ exam approaching in a few weeks time and studying what I've calculated to be roughly 40 lecture handouts of last semester on top of this semester's material and counting. And I think it's just under 90 days before the supplementary exam period begins? I'm just taking it one day at a time I suppose, because when the going gets tough, it's about priorities!  

E-mentoring has also started again this year! I've briefly discussed this in an earlier post because I carried out this duty in my first year at university, too. But on top of my part-time job I'm an E-mentor with my university. Twice a week over the course of about eleven months I'm mentoring seven A-Level students and offering guidance and support alongside their applications to university. It's great because the hours are so flexible and work around my unforgiving timetable and I feel it's a sweet little bit of extra money coming in. It means I don't really have to dip into the wages for my "real" part-time job and save it up later. But all in all, it's off to a good start. I've said my introductions and gotten to know them all (seven very enthusiastic girls who want to study biological/medical courses, woop!) and they're so lovely. I'm excited to also meet them all when they come down to my university next month so it should be good. 

Apart from that, I don't think there's anything else to really cover. I'm on the hunt for a backpack? My current bag really isn't living up to carrying textbooks or anything apart from a couple of notebooks. Superdry have a pretty range at the moment so I might just pick something up from there. 

And what's on the agenda tomorrow? Well, you guessed it. A 9 o'lock lecture, followed by a four hour free and another lecture. I'll probably E-mentor in that gap, and my friends want to get some Mexican food at our university restaurant so I'll tag along. Should be good! :)

How's your week been?
Lots of love,

1 comment: