Sunday 21 September 2014

Summer Holidays

So since it's been the holidays, I've taken up a lot of overtime at work and worked double what I normally do during term-time. I work in a store on pretty much minimum wage and have been there since last year. It's been great to get a bigger chunk of finance coming in than the usual every month during the summer though! But today is a day where I've got no work, and will just do absolutely nothing and not feel guilty about it - except make a start to blog!

Technically, I have also got a second job. Recruited by my university, I'm an E-mentor to seven lovely A-Level students via the Realizing Opportunities scheme. Every week - since February of this year - I spend a couple of hours sending e-mails back and forth, offering advice and help with their university applications.. At the moment, I'm working with them on their personal statements and it's honestly been lovely reading about their enthusiasm.. I enjoy supporting them and forging long-term professional relationships with them. So much so, I love, love, love it and will definitely carry it on next year with some new fresh faces! 


During the summer I've also been keeping up with my volunteering on Saturdays. For two hours, I pop down to my local Hospital as a ward host. Every week I'm there, it's just so different; some days I can be making tea for the parents, or tidying up the play room. Last week, I was ordering the meals for the Sunday lunch/supper and later on I spent an hour colouring with a little patient's sister. Every week since January it's been a new collection of patients, of families and conditions. I also understand that because I'm working with children, it's a different dynamic as to working with older patients - which is why I'd love to secure a second placement possibly at my university hospital trust which'll offer something else! 

At the moment, really all I'm doing is try to secure that second volunteering placement.

Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment