Sunday 23 August 2015

Say what? Theatre?

Whenever I saw a medical student on campus, I'd always recognise them as they were the one that got in. They beat x amount of applications for that space at university, they're probably very confident and excellent communicators, had a string of A*s, and it sort of intimidated me to approach them because I wondered what they had that I didn't, which sounds incredibly naive and stupid now that I'm writing this. And so, I don't think I really gave myself a chance to learn a lot of valuable experiences from them when I could've. I should've acquainted myself with them, and I think this internship has changed my perspective on approaching medical students and just getting to know them!

During my internship, the medical students have been really lovely hard working people and I've appreciated how helpful and approaching they are, too. I didn't really have anyone to teach me how to do the work whilst on my internship except them. Unlike all the other interns who had training by managers and supervisors, I had to be a med student's problem, and whilst they had their own research to do I was asking umpteen questions and bugging them if I'd done it right or not. So they had a lot of patience and that was something I really appreciated. Over the next few days they really got to know me and I got to know them despite the piles of paperwork and I enjoy the friendship that I've struck up with them. I got to ask questions about their life in medical school, and life outside of it and how they like to relax. I showed them a few of my sketches and they were really impressed, which was really sweet. 

Oh and the other day, one of them wanted to ask the upper GI surgeons if she could witness one of their surgical procedures and pop into theatre, since she's doing a research paper on it.  And she casually suggested I come along and witness it for myself, too. SAY WHAT? I replied "Are you serious?" "Yeah, why not!"

I'll keep you updated if it goes ahead!
All in all a good week.

Lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment