Saturday 8 August 2015

My Littlest Patient so Far

Today I was back at the old hospital I've been volunteering in since January 2014. For the past two weeks I've been temporarily moved to the neonatal surgical ward due to maintenance going on in my regular ward, but I certainly didn't mind a new environment.

I spend the entirety of my shift with one very very little patient. An adorable, four month old patient suffering from spina bifida. They'd come in with an infection and when I entered the ward, they were all by themselves, so I immediately went over. The nurse suggested I pick them up in my arms, and asked whether I'd like to feed them a bottle of baby milk. Through the coughing and spluttering, the baby eventually managed to finish the whole bottle. I played with them, and eventually tiring them out, the little one fell asleep in my arms sound asleep. Since all my siblings have grown up, it's been a little while since I've held a baby, and I've definitely missed it.

Whilst I was there I got to know the nurse who was in charge of taking care of this patient. She was every so friendly and incredibly open to my questions, so all in all, a good day so far. I have work in a while and so I'll be napping to catch a few hours. After work, it'll be followed by some UKCAT revision later in the evening!

How's your day been?
Lots of love

No comments:

Post a Comment